International Chef Paul Watters brings us a tasty Christmas starter of broccoli and blue cheese soup with thyme-infused peas.
- 2tbsp of rapeseed oil
- 1 onion (peeled and chopped)
- 2 sticks of celery (washed and chopped)
- 1 large or 2 medium size potatoes (washed peeled and chopped)
- 2 tbsp of unsalted butter
- 1 litre of chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 head of broccoli rough-cut including stems
- 160g blue cheese crumbled
- 1 handful of frozen peas
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 4 tbsp of double cream
- A few bits of picked flat-leaf parsley
- In a pot or large saucepan add rapeseed oil then add chopped onion. Cook on medium heat until soft (chef tip add a little water to prevent the onion from catching)
- Add celery and diced potato and butter stir well until butter has melted, place a lid on top and allow to cook for 5 minutes then remove the lid.
- Pour in the stock and any broccoli stems, cook for a further 10-15 minutes until the stems are soft. Add the rest of the broccoli.
- Carefully transfer to a blender and blitz until smooth or use a hand blender. Bring back to the heat and crumble in the cheese allow a few lumps to remain while waiting for the soup to heat, boil the peas in a little water with 1 sprig of thyme once boiling season soup with black pepper and serve.
- Drizzle a little cream around the bowl and add cooked peas garnish with a sprig of thyme and flat-leaf parsley.